Brothers lose after the bell to Easts - 28 / Apr / 2015

Easts Tigers dealt Brothers a disappointing loss in the 80th minute of their Round 7 BLK Queensland Premier Rugby clash.

Ill-discipline cost Brothers the game, allowing a trailing Tigers side to come back in the second half and steal the win 28-27.

Brothers coach Anthony Mathison said he was frustrated by the loss and it was a game Brothers should have won. 

“To loose after half time is very disappointing,” Mathison said. 

“We had quality players on the field but parts of our game were not up to scratch and you can’t afford to give opportunities to a class side such as Easts.”  

Brothers were dominant in the first half despite Easts flyhalf Matthew Brandon putting first points on the board with a successful penalty after 10 minutes.  

The Tigers lead was short lived however, with Sam Greene setting lock Terrin Walls up for the first try of the game, with a successful conversion putting Brothers in front 7-3.

Easts managed to regain possession but failed to turn opportunities into points. 

Brothers instead made the most of their potency in counter attack and in the 25th minute, prop Toniela Tupou made a break allowing Greene to cross the line for the second try of the game, extending the lead to 12-3 after the conversion hit the post.

Easts continued to flounder in the first half and despite the defensive efforts of James Moore, Brother’s number 15 Pearce Fitzgerald ran in a third try minutes later, taking the score to 17-3.

A yellow card against East scrumhalf Jack Mullins in the 35th minute did not help the Tigers, with Brothers extending the lead with a penalty kick 20-3 going into half time.

Easts returned to the field a different side in the second half with Tom Milosevic scoring the Tigers first try of the game and a successful conversion put them back in the game 20-10. 

Easts kept the momentum with Mullins running over for the Tigers second try minutes later with a conversion narrowing the gap to 20-17.

Brothers responded with Greene running over for his second try of the day, extending the lead 27-17.

Determined to prove dominance in the second half Easts reciprocated with Tyrell Barker scoring a try in the 50th minute. 

A missed conversion left the Tigers six points behind but a penalty against Brothers allowed Brandon to redeem himself with a successful kick putting the score at 27-25.

With only 10 minutes left in the game Brothers were under pressure to hold out an imposing Easts side and were lucky when Brandon missed a penalty kick after hooker Matthew Mafi was yellow carded. 

The continued ill-discipline of the home side however cost Brothers again, penalised in the 80th minute for not rolling away.

With a second chance to secure the match, Brandon redeemed himself successfully slotting the kick to steal the game from Brothers 28-27. 

Mathison said his side would have to work on closing out tight games.

“We were not good enough in the second half and that feeling is too familiar this season.”

“We will work hard this week to improve that aspect of our game and focus on closing out the game better next week against University,” he said.

Next week Brothers will play University at St.Lucia and Easts will play Sunnybank at home.
Easts 28 (T Barker, T Milosevic, J Mullins tries, Matt Brandon 2 conv 3 Pens) Brothers 27 (Sam Greene 2 tries, Terrin Walls, Pierce Fitzgerald tries, Sam Greene 2 conv 1 pen) 

By Sarah Butler 

2015 Round 7 - Results.jpg